Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 8 Kirkwood (Jackson, CA to Lake Tahoe, CA)

So today again there is no video yet. Internet has been sparse so I have been making the videos but not able to upload them yet but we have a day off tomorrow and i will get caught up.

So today we woke up at 5:30am and got ready and checked out of our Gym accommodations and then rode our bicycles down the really steep hill to Mel and Fayes diner again for breakfast. They gave us an awesome breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, grits, fruit..... basically everything we needed for our beastly day ahead of us.

At about 8am we departed for what will have been our most epic of journeys. We rode kirkwood as its called. To break it down for you its probably the hardest thing we will ever have to do on this trip.  It started out very easy but then just got progressively more difficult. To break it down simply for you here are the stats

Distance: 93 miles
Time (on bike) to complete: just over 9 hours
Three mountain passes
Highest point reached: 8500ft ASL
Elevation start: 1217ft ASL
Total Elevation Climb: 11,500ft

All of that equals the most epic bike ride ever

So Me and my riding partner finished in pretty much exactly 12 hours with stops. Our average speed was 9.7mph and my max speed coming down one of the passes was 53mph

This was by far the most intense ride I have ever done. I mean it is the longest, and steepest journey as well.

Words cant describe the struggle getting through it and if it werent for my riding partner to push me through and our safety coach Dean. I probably would not have finished.

After we all got in we went and showered and then headed over to Sierra Pizza to get dinner. I had like 7 pieces as I was starving.  When you burn around 5000 calories you become hungry. After that we went back to lodging and I got to start catching up on this blog.


Peace, Love, and Kirkwoods
White "DJ" Doug


No comments:

Post a Comment