Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 45 Dubuque, IA to Rockford, IL I made it home!!!! Well for a day

So today we woke up at 5:30 and got fed by the camp.  We had eggs and ham and it was a nice warm home cooked breakfast.

We had lot of miles to go today and well we had a really short time to get there.  We had 110 miles to go in about 6 hours which realistically wasnt going to happen but we gave it our best.  As you might remember my rear wheel was messed up but we have a guy on our team Reggie that has extra pieces for bikes as his first bike broke so he bought a new one so I just used his rear wheel for today to ride till I got to a bike shop.

So we headed out today Alex, Michael Brooks and I and we began our epic quest to get to Rockford (My home town)  We rode and rode and well we rode for about 72 miles (funny as I rode the same roughly the day before) and then we got racked for time. We pretty much knew we were going to get racked it was more so a when not if.

So we got racked and were driven to our friendship visit which was at the Indoor Sports Center in rockford where we hung out with some of the kids at their summer camp. It was a teen summer camp with kids with all sorts of disabilities.  We did a mummy race (Race to see who could wrap up one of us in toilet paper first). Then we did a baloon race and finally some of us and the counselors got pied in the face by the campers.  My mother came out to pick my bike and take it to the bike shop to get fixed and now I am all ready to ride tomorrow.

After that we showered and changed and hung out for a bit. Some of the guys played volleyball and we beat the counselors pretty bad.  We then packed up and headed out.

We drove to our dinner/lodging which was the UAW 1268 union hall.  So the Union told me back when I setup the sponsored dinner that we could have whatever we wanted for food so the food selection was put to a vote and Chinese was the winner 13-12 over Steak and Potatoes. The guys were super excited for Chinese and so that is what we had for dinner.

We then did our introductions and had a group photo taken and then I headed out to get some stuff done. I switched out some clothes and metup with some of my friends.  My parents came out and my brother and they ate with us and then after I got all situated my friends and I went out and hung out for a bit.

I then went and picked up our jerseys and shorts that my mother washed and headed back to lodging to write my blogs and head to bed

Good Night All


Peace, Love, and Chineses
White "DJ" Doug

2 comments:

  1. Way to give your mother credit for getting your bike fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And btw, your blog is 2 bananas short.

    ReplyDelete