Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 67 Bethesda, MD to WASHINGTON DC!!!!!!!!

So today is the day or rather was the day.  We woke up at 6:15 today and got everything packed and cleaned up and then went outside for our last breakfast.  It was a standard crew chief breakfast but it was the last one that we were going to have as a team.

We just hung around till about 8amish and then we all headed out. It was a short and slow ride to our stage up. It was only about 9 miles and there were an incredible amount of stop signs and lights. We rode separately for a little while and then pelicaned for a bit and then split up again and rode to stage up.

We got to stageup about 930ish and hung out with the guys from the other routes and the BAM guys as well. We had about an hour to kill before we headed out. Most of the guys just relaxed and what not and at like 1030 we all lined up to head out.  We didnt have a police escort so our arrival was very slow stopping at every light. Not fun when you have 70+ cyclists stopping and starting lol.

We started riding closer to the Capitol lawn and it started getting real.  We then dismounted and walked our bikes up and off to the side. While I was walking my bike closer to the building and between the cheering crowd I definitely cried a little. It was pretty surreal to think that I had just ridden my bicycle from one end of the country to the other. It was an amazing journey and an amazing feeling to be here.

We had many many speeches by the project managers and Chad and everyone else. After all the speeches we did a bunch of pictures as a whole and as each route/team. Then we were dismissed to get pictures and head back and check into the hotel.  I got into the hotel and showered and changed and then went out to lunch with my mother and father at the Corner Bakery.  It was good food and then I went back to the hotel to nap a little and just relax.

I got dressed and headed down to the celebration and we watched as more people gave speeches and all the awards were given out.  Michael Walton won the Bruce Rogers award and we were all very happy he did.  We then did our dance and headed out.

That night I went out to dinner at a place called Vendetta with my parents and played some bocci and later that night went out for a drink at the Dubliner and said goodbye to most of the guys. It was a great summer I dont think I have ever had any summer that has or would ever compare to this summer

I hope you have enjoyed the blog this summer and sorry that the videos stopped early. I just ran out of time and they got harder and harder to do.

It will be weird now going back to reality and thinking for myself again

Peace, Love, and Unendings,
White "DJ" Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment